The Pink Palace’s newest acquisition is a stained glass window from T.H. Hayes & Sons Funeral Home, Memphis’s oldest continually operated African American business. Thomas H. Hayes, Sr. began his career as a grocer before he founded the funeral parlor in 1902. It was originally located on Poplar Avenue, but it moved to 680 South … More New Home for an Old Window
When mail ruled the day, postcards were a popular way to communicate. Picture postcards first came on the American scene during the 1893 Columbian Exposition. They quickly grew in popularity, and the decade from 1905-1915 marked a golden age for postcards. People frequently mailed them to each other and then saved them in albums. By … More Greetings from Memphis!
Clarence Saunders’ Sole Owner Tigers are not Memphis’s only defunct football program. In 1974, the Southmen came to town as part of the World Football League. The Southmen began as the Toronto Northmen; however, the Canadian Prime Minister was concerned about having American expansion teams compete with the Canadian Football League for viewers. He had … More Some Short Lived Memphis Football Programs
One of the Pink Palace’s newest acquisitions is a mid-twentieth century coffin that was donated by Susan Wilson Hoggard of S.Y. Wilson store in Arlington, Tennessee. S.Y. Wilson opened in 1893 as a general country store that sold provisions in eastern Shelby County. Samuel Young Wilson erected the store’s current building in 1912 in Arlington’s … More S.Y. Wilson’s Coffin